In our 169-year history and in keeping with our mission to “advance science, engineering, and innovation throughout the world for the benefit of all people,” the AAAS has developed a strong record of speaking up for science. We will continue to be the “force for science,” and actively seek opportunities to expand our communication and advocacy activities.
AAAS provides leadership to the scientific community on issues affecting science and scientists by:
- Advocating for conditions in which science can thrive, including a society and government that provide essential freedoms and support;
- Setting high standards for the practice and applications of science;
- Ensuring that scientific evidence is well integrated in decision-making and policymaking;
- Providing tools and mobilizing the science community to communicate and advocate for science; and,
- Being a trusted source and communicator of scientific information on public issues.